Life can beat you down and rob you of your joy, strength, and hope. There are so many personal, local, national, and global problems that surround us. If we’re not careful we can easily slip into a slimy pit of depression, roll over and wave the white flag of surrender, and pray for Jesus to come fast.
Giving thanks is a powerful act that drives back the gloomy clouds that can gather around even the most optimistic soul. Giving thanks to God reminds us of all that God has done and brought us through. It fills us with courage. After a moment of giving thanks internally we say, “If God did it back then, I know he can and will do it again!”
So I want to practice what I preach. I want to give you 10 things I’m thankful for.
1. I’m thankful that my sins are forgiven, and that I have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
2. I’m thankful for my beautiful wife Wendy, who is a constant companion, source of strength, and friendship.
3. I’m thankful for my four healthy little girls – Moriah 8, Emily 7, Carlie 3, and Reagan 2. They give me a lot of needed attention.
4. I’m thankful that I get to pastor a wonderful church that wants to grow in the Lord and reach the lost.
5. I’m thankful that I have the privilege of preaching God’s Word each week.
6. I’m thankful that physically I’m healthy.
7. I’m thankful that God has always provided for our every financial need, and blessed us in our most needy moments.
8. I’m thankful for the opportunity to continue my seminary education at Fuller Theological Seminary, working toward my Doctorate of Ministry.
9. I’m thankful for a Godly heritage, having both grandfathers and my father giving their lives to pastoral church planting ministry.
10. An finally, I’m thankful for the close friendship I have with my father, whom I’m named after, my two brothers, Josh and Charlie, and my brother-in-law, Frank. Thank God for friends you can just be yourself around!
Now you try it! Write down what you’re thankful for and offer thanks to God. It will fill you with new strength and hope!
1 Chronicles 16:8 – Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!